Healthier Hearts for South Charlotte Pets
Because pets are living longer than ever, heart disease is diagnosed more often. Rea Road Animal Hospital has the combination of experience and technology to find heart disease and treat it properly. Yearly wellness exams are very important for your pet's heart health. At every exam, we make a point of listening to the heart to determine if there are problems that may become serious.
If we suspect a heart problem, we can use radiographs and EKG to diagnose several problems:
- Thickened or leaking heart valves
- Inflammation or infection of the heart muscle or lining
- Heartworm disease, which is transmitted by mosquitoes and caused by worms that lodge in the heart and cause damage
- Arrhythmia or an irregular heartbeat that can be caused by a malfunction of the heart's electrical system
- Birth defects that can cause several types of heart problems
Treatment for heart disease is almost always with medication and very rarely with surgery. Diuretics, for example, can remove some of the excess fluid from your pet's body that is causing swelling. Other cardiac drugs strengthen the heart muscle, and vasodilators can help the heart pump blood more efficiently.
Your pet might be given a special diet, and we will employ different medications until we find the most appropriate treatment for your pet.